Friday, January 7, 2011

Where the nice people are

As a result of my new job (Social Networking Assistant and Tech Coach for the County of Brant Public Library), I've been traveling the Ontario country side searching out small business to attend my class and have had some very interesting encounters.

The rolling snowy hills of Brant County are lovely, the deer silently munch in the sleepy fields as I drive past and a light snow always seems to be falling. All this is well and good but if weren't for the wonderful people of Brant County, it just wouldn't be the same.

Maybe it's because I lived in Toronto for the past number of years I haven't been used to people of this county nature. Maybe it's because I've traveled and dealt with many short tempered or impatient people these kinds of people seem even more outstanding. Whatever my own personal reasons for noticing their manerisms, I've recently discovered that the people of the country are the best kinds of people BY FAR!

After visiting the villages of Burford, St.George and Scotland, I can't get over how incredible nice, friendly, welcoming and thankful the people of these towns are. I, a stranger, walks in to provide some information and I get nothing but the utmost welcome, thanks and warm wishes for my day.

It's all over the web. Lots of websites and all claiming Canada to be one of the nicest countries in the world and it's these people we have to credit. I don't see many randomly smiling faces or 'Hello! How are you's' from strangers in Toronto.

It really is amazing how friendly and nice these people are and I can't think of a better reason to move to the country then to be surrounded by hardworking, honest people. Why wouldn't I want to work there, live there and raise my family there? What's so appealing about these medium size cities that have high crime rates, high teen pregnancy rates and really busy Tim Horton's?

It's the country for me!! :)

No comments: