Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Now Hiring -insert dream job- !

It seems I know more than a handful of skilled yet unemployed people in the Communications industry (among many others) and I'm soon to be one of them.

Hopping from short-term contract to short-term contract with marginal pay is not what I had in mind for my 'career' when I entered school for Public Relations. The 'tips' I find online are hardly 'out of the box' thinking. So what's the deal?

I was top of my class, I volunteered for more special events and promotions gigs then anyone I know. I was elected Logistics Chair by my class for our event (I think that's saying something.) I landed myself a fantastic internship where I learned from the best of the best about writing, special events, advertising, marketing and communications in the corporate world. I've traveled the world and have a through understanding of various forms and methods of communications as well as a broad sense of the world we live in. I'm detail-oriented, hard working and left standing on the platform as the train of 'dream employment' drives off.


I've searched for months and don't get me wrong, I'm exceptionally grateful for the job I do have. It's in my field, I'm learning buckets of information about social media for business and developing myself as a social media strategist and the people I work for are great. But this is a temporary position and soon ending.

The saying 'it's not what you know, it's who you know', keeps jumping into my head and I want to swat it with a bat. I can only make so many new acquaintances in the industry without actually being very far in it. UPS should have called me back when I applied; maybe I should invite them to my Tupperware party.

I have a blog, I'm on Linkedin, I have Facebook and Twitter, I really don't know how many more connections I can make and hints I can drop without begging.

Maybe I'm too set on my 'perfect job'. Is it too much to want to work for a great company? To be proud of what they do and enjoy going to work every day? To better myself by working there and in turn, better them and their image? To have fun and make friends at the same time? Personally, I don't know many people have their 'dream job' but I can't lose faith, I know it's out there and I know it shall be mine!

What's that saying?...oh right...Keep Calm and Carry On.

No comments: