Thursday, February 17, 2011

Getting Hired with Social Media

As my 'dream job' hunt continues, I've been reading a lot of articles online explaining how to utilize social media to get you hired.

I read an article on 5 ways Twitter can get you hired and found it very interesting but still lacking. As someone relatively new to Twitter and although I believe I'm following the right people, isn't it about them following me? I have leveraged my own branded message in my profile description and am hoping this might push me in the right direction...up.

The explanation of #hastags is a great idea and I do plan to use this more in the future. If you're in the same spot as me, check out the article for some great ideas.

Knowing Twitter is a big deal, it's safe to assume Facebook can be utilized in a similar way. In 5 Ways Facebook Can Get You Hired I think the most important idea is the status update but then again, how much is too much? With all these businesses and marketers joining Facebook, isn't the whole point of it being lost? As I tell my students in my Social Media for Business Course, don't try to broadcast your message all the time else you will be despised and disregarded by the online community. The idea is to be social, affiliate marketing is fine but use it sparingly...I'm learning to take my own advice.

Personally, I'm finding Linkedin to be a fantastic resource. Not only are there some great job postings, the discussions are a great way to ask questions and get answers to any number of PR related questions. Right now, my favourite is HAPPO - Help a PR Pro Out. Check it out!

I've applied to a number of jobs over the past few weeks, a few of which could be insanely fantastic but still the fateful question remains...when's my interview date??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your course. I have increased my job skills. I found an interesting article on cold calling with social media. http://www.tmcnet.com/channels/telemarketing-software/articles/143867-social-networking-helps-pre-warm-cold-calls.htm