Monday, December 13, 2010

Too much Secret Santa

Christmas 2010 is unlike any other Christmas I have experienced before. Usually during this time of year I would be away at school, waiting until the last possible day to leave my parent-free life behind for two weeks to come home and visit with old friends and family.

Last year, Christmas 2009, I was away in Korea for the year and spent Christmas day on holiday in Cambodia where I fired automatic weapons and explored the Killing Fields on December 25th. This year, not only am I not away and coming home for Christmas, I live at home with my parents and cannot escape.

My freedom is lost and my independence punched in its face.

Now that I'm at home, working three jobs and around friends whom I haven't seen much of over the last number of years...everyone has decided to have a Christmas party.

So...what do I get everyone? Most of these parties are 'Secret Santa' parties where everyone brings a gift and everyone gets one. I am also attending one where names are drawn and only you know who to buy the present for. My issue is now...what do I buy? They all have a $20 limit which is good for my wallet but requires a creative mind. Also, I don't know the people I have to buy for! One is my fiance's male 20 year old cousin and the other an accountant at the tattoo shop I work for and see once a week.

HELP! The internet is helpful with ideas but being so close to Christmas, these things wouldn't arrive in time if ordered. So it's more of a list of cool things you could've gotten if you started planning earlier.

I love Christmas, it's my favourite time of year, but buying presents for people I barely know seems rather silly to me. It's not a thoughtful gift, it's not an expensive gift, it's just something for you to open because I had to get you something. Maybe a new type of Christmas party would be fun. Or just Christmas games and activities. DO we really need more stuff?? More things to add to our shelves or use and throw out? Maybe try something new this year...spice it up by NOT having a SS party! :)

1 comment:

Blaire said...

Although I may have stressed out about the Secret Santa parties, they turned out to be tons of fun and I'm so glad I was able to be a part of the. :)